Kernersville News Briefs
- On Monday, October 27 at approximately 4:45 p.m., the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office (FCSO) responded to a Bank Robbery at the NewBridge Bank, located at 3000 Old Hollow Road in Walkertown. Witnesses reported that the suspect passed a note to the teller demanding money and fled the bank with an undisclosed amount of U.S. currency, according to the FCSO) No weapon was displayed during the robbery, the FCSO said. The suspect was described as a white male, wearing a white tank top shirt and blue jeans. Witnesses reported the suspect leaving the bank operating a white in color truck. FCSO Investigators identified the alleged suspect and obtained a warrant for arrest for Herbert Marshall
Walker, Jr., 42, of 5108 Oak Garden Drive, Kernersville. Walker was charged with one count of Common Law Robbery.
On Monday, October 27 at approximately 11:50 p.m., FCSO investigators located the suspect vehicle at a motel in the 3000 block of Reidsville Road, Winston-Salem. The FCSO said Walker was taken into custody without incident at this location. Walker is confined to the Forsyth County Detention Center with bond secured in the amount of $10,000.00 with a court date of November 13.
- Watch out Kernersville! Ghosts, goblins, princesses and your favorite farm animals will be on the loose this Friday during the 20th annual Downtown Trick-or-Treat event.
From 6 – 8 p.m. on October 31, children ages 13 and under will magically transform into their favorite superheroes and search downtown Kernersville for their favorite treats while avoiding unwanted tricks. For more, see the Tuesday, October 28, 2014 edition.
- Kernersville police are looking for a suspect who attempted to rob a sweepstakes business on North Main Street on Monday. According to the Kernersville Police Department, “A black male entered AIA Sweepstakes, located at 810-K N. Main St., holding two semi-automatic pistols with the intent to rob the establishment.” For more, see the Tuesday, October 28, 2014 edition.
- The 7th annual Colfax Persimmon Festival, sponsored by TA Garner Construction and Piedmont Federal Savings Bank, will be held this Saturday, Nov. 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Historic Stafford Farm, located in Colfax. For more, see the Tuesday, October 28, 2014 edition.
- Kernersville’s American Legion Post 36 is holding a raffle to help raise funds toward finding a Post home. According to Legion.org, Congress chartered the American Legion in 1919 as a patriotic veterans organization. For more, see the Tuesday, October 28, 2014 edition.